Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Like A Frightened Turtle

Quick update and an introduction to my new hero.....

First of all, for those of you that don't get the title of the blog as fast as Jenny and Bart did, this is the Seinfeld reference...


So a quick recap.........4 tumors total in my neck, with the largest being 15mm.   I could feel all of them, and the biggest I could measure with a cool digital caliper that I bought from Lowes if I twisted my neck to a really odd angle.   I could tell in the last 3 weeks that the biggest tumor was getting smaller, or at least felt like it.   But in the last week it seems to have shrunk by about half of what it started.........like a frightened turtle!!   (see how I tied the title in?   I'll be teaching this important step in 4th grade writing soon)   Now, this is not scientific, but it sure seems like it's at least 50% smaller.   Great news and a HUGE praise!!!!!

I did go back to MD Anderson on Oct 12th, after the Oct 5th appointment was Aardvarked!   (ties to previous blog post, this is more of an advanced, 5th grade writing step)   The infusion went very smoothly, and I felt really good the week after.  This week is a little rougher, as I'm not 100%, and the stomach issues have been getting worse.    But going to Game 1 and Game 6 in Wrigley to watch the Cubs advance to the World Series helped!!!   (Thanks cousin Chris!!!)



On to the hero part.........    Texas Monthly has a cover story on Dr. Jim Allison, who is the chair and head of the Department of Immunology at MD Anderson.   It is one of the most fascinating and interesting articles I've ever read.   (and maybe the longest)   Mindy said "this article was written to and for you!!!!!!!"   It's about the research that has gone into developing and the science around the EXACT treatment I'm on!!!!   For most the article would make your head spin, but it discusses every treatment I've been on, from interferon, Sylatron, radiation and now nivo/ipi.    Dr. Allison developed ipi..........the wonder drug based on CTLA-4 molecules.  The article points out that he is expected to get the Nobel Peace Prize soon, and I for one, can't think of a better person.  His license plate on his Tesla is CTLA-4.......nerd alert maybe?   But it's OK little buddy, get back in that lab and keep up the great work!!!!!!    

I can't begin to thank everyone that has touched my life in the last few months......I'm humbled and blessed more than I can express.  

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment